Saturday, June 22, 2013

About getting more games for this PS3 of mine...

Went to GameStop to see if they had one of the very few titles on my list that were cheaper there than on Amazon. I came back with new copies of Tomb Raider and Wolfenstein since there wasn't much difference in the price, if any. I picked up a used copy of Soul Calibur IV as well. Any game where I can play as the Dark Lord of the Sith and slice my enemies with a Light Saber is probably worth having in my collection.

The next few games I pick up will be the cheaper games on my list (well, according to Amazon's prices, anyway) and probably won't happen for at least another few weeks. Those will include Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition, Sonic Generations and Doom 3: BFG Edition.

I have the 3DS version of the Sonic game, which is mostly 2D and nowhere near as gorgeous as the home console versions. (Although, it was still quite good.) For some reason, SEGA didn't make a version for the Wii or WiiU and I didn't have either an XBOX 360 or PS3 until yesterday. I wonder what the console version will be like once it's mine.

I played the Mortal Kombat game last night while testing the used PS3 console that I purchased. (It was borrowed from a neutral 3rd party.) It's definitely not a button-masher like the old ones I played in the 1990's on SEGA Genesis and Super NES. However, it has Freddie Kruger in it as a playable character. Therefore, I am all too happy to learn the moves of a favorite character or two so I can unlock him (assuming there's no cheat code for that) and use him to haunt the Kombatants dreams. Muhuhahahaha...

I can't tell you anything about the Doom game other than it's a graphical update and slightly altered version of the original Doom 3 released to PC in 2005. That's good enough for me. Playing Doom games on consoles really sucked back in the 1990's and even in the 2000's when Doom 3 came out. (The Doom titles on Atari Jaguar, PS1 and N64 being notable exceptions.) That was always unfortunate since I'd rather play these kind of games with a controller as opposed to a keyboard and mouse. Getting gamepads to work with PC games was always such a bitch. Now though, I guess I don't have to worry about it anymore. Besides, I'm not sure any of my computers can run the PC version of the game.

Finally, I saw a copy of a Star Trek game on the shelf at that GameStop too, priced at $40. Looking it up on Amazon just now, I see I was right to not make this an impulse buy. I'll have to do some further research before deciding if I want it or not. Games based on movies and TV shows have a long history of being complete disasters, especially if they were rushed to market.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment