Thursday, August 15, 2013

So, I've been adding to my Atari collection a lot recently...

It all started a few months ago with me wandering into a local record store, only to discover that they sell a lot of old games too. I've collected quite a few prized items from them, including a SEGA Saturn and a NES Top-loader. I never thought I'd acquire those for my collection...

Anyway, I've managed to acquire 3 different Atari 2600 consoles since that time: 1 of the 'Darth Vader' model and 2 of the '2600jr.' model. (One of those Juniors came from a local pawn shop instead of the record store.)

The selection of games I have acquired (which now numbers in the dozens) is mostly the standard fare for Atari. However, there was one game that I wanted VERY badly and another I've always wanted to try. Somehow, I managed to find factory-sealed copies of these for next to nothing in cost on Amazon in the last few weeks. Awesome. :)

Okay, enough talk. Time for some pics of classic Atari 2600 gaming goodness... :)























You can see my entire 2600 game collection in the last pic. That pic was taken only minutes ago. There's a copy of River Raid and Othello with a rubber band around them both. That was done to remind me that neither of them work anymore. :( At least I can still use them for that clear acrylic art project I mentioned in a previous post.

You might notice a few unusual labels that are taped onto the cartridges with scotch tape. I made those in Photoshop for the cartridges that no longer had an end label. I still need to print out and tape the label for that 2nd copy of Defender...

Also, I left the price tag on the carts in the pictures because I wanted to keep a record of how dirt cheap these cartridges were when I acquired them. Somehow, I don't believe that record store really knows the values of these games. I won't look it up and tell them, either.

What's that you say? Why didn't Lord Publius do some kind of unboxing video/picture sets on those 2 boxed cartridges? Well... Actually, I did...

First, here's Battlezone...













And, here's the most recent addition, which came in today: Solaris...








Yes, I opened them. What's the point of having a game you can't play?

Wait! There's more!

I've managed to acquire some games and controllers for the Atari 5200 and 7800 platforms from that record store too. Unfortunately, I don't have those consoles yet. I might be able to get a 5200 in a week or so but, I won't say anything more about that until it actually happens. (And I certainly do hope that it does indeed happen.)

Anyway, here's the pics...





All of those 5200 game cartridges were 50 cents a piece. I'm not sure if they are worth more or not but, that does seem pretty damned low to me. The 7800 port of Dig Dug was only a Dollar. I had that game on my 7800 when I was a teenager. I already know it's an awesome port. Also, I really wish I didn't sell my Atari 7800 years ago when I was going broke and needed money. :(

However, I will get another 7800 one day... And a 5200... And a Colecovision and an Intellivision too. I swear it to the gaming gods!

- Lord Publius



No comments:

Post a Comment