Thursday, September 19, 2013

Paying tribute to Yamauchi-san by beating Super Mario 3D Land...

I just FINALLY beat Super Mario 3D Land on my 3DS. Bowser was a really tough bastard in this one. He was determined to make me really fight to save that Princess but, saved her I did. It is a fitting tribute to Yamauchi-san, who passed away today at age 85.

Also, this quote of his from an article about him the New York Times today was rather fitting, I think...

In one of his last interviews, with the magazine Nikkei Business in 2003, Mr. Yamauchi offered a longer view of the gaming market. At the time, Nintendo was being pummeled by Sony’s immensely popular PlayStation 2 console. But he scoffed at suggestions that the battle for supremacy in gaming was over.

“That’s absolutely wrong; the gaming wars, they will never end,” he said, adding: “That’s just not how this business works. Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring.”


^^^Well-said, sir. May the competition never end, lest innovation be stifled.

- Lord Publius

1 comment:

  1. According to the Wikipedia article on Yamauchi-san, he was also a Master-level player of the classic board game Go. One wonders why Nintendo never made a video game of it... I would certainly play that title, as I detailed in this earlier blog post here:

    http://lordpublius.blogspot.com/2013/09/go-should-be-made-into-video-game.html

    ReplyDelete