Wednesday, October 30, 2013

About that art project...

Back in July, I posted an idea for an art project. It would be a coffee table (or something similar) with an acrylic layer on top. Inside the acrylic would be old video games that don't work anymore. I had mentioned a few other themes that I could also employ here, like a music theme using broken/worn out records and tapes. A few days ago, an old High School friend sent me a link to a website that has the stuff I need to make the clear epoxy resin. It isn't going to be cheap but, it is still worthwhile.

Anyway, my collection of crap to use for this kind of project has been steadily growing...

I.) Music

78 Records & LP's

- Black Sabbath - Paranoid
- Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
- A 78 record with music from the Classical composer Richard Wagner

45 Singles

- A 45 single of Elvis Presley that is hopelessly scratched. (This one just makes me sad...)

Cassettes

- AC/DC - For those about to Rock
- Journey - Frontiers
- Ozzy Osbourne - No rest for the wicked
- Ugly Kid Joe - As ugly as they wanna be

Don't worry, music lovers. I have back-up copies of all of these Rock albums on multiple formats, including Cassette, CD & and/or Vinyl. Ugly Kid Joe is an exception that that rule. There's nothing wrong with the tape. I just think that band sucks. The liner notes that came with the tapes might also go into the resin along with the tapes. The cases will be re-used for any other old tapes of mine that may need one.

II.) Old games

Atari 2600 cartridges

Atlantis*
Kaboom!*
Keystone Kapers*
Megamania*
Ms. Pac-Man*
Othello
River Raid*
Space Attack
Space Cavern


* = I have other working copies of these cartridges. The rest I'll just play in an emulator.

Other systems

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
Halo 2 (XBOX)
The Italian Job (GCN)

I have other copies of the GTA & Halo games. These unplayable copies were given to me for free. I wouldn't want to have the Italian Job game in my collection. Games based on movies are almost always terrible.

There's also another art project that's been rolling around in the back of my head for a while. I've seen this in both a record store and someone's personal residence. It's one of those doors/curtains that are usually made of beads, except this one is made of old cassette tapes. I don't have enough in my collection to make one (let alone enough worn out copies) but, Goodwill always has plenty of tapes for sale. (Usually for less than a dollar each.) All I'd need is the tapes, a lot of cable/electrical ties, a curtain rod strong enough to hold the weight and a can of black spray paint. I don't mind using tapes of artists whose music I don't like but, I'll be damned if anyone actually knows that I allowed crap recordings into my home.

- Lord Publius

Addendum: 31 Oct 2013 1536 Hours

Acquired 2 more GameCube games that can be used for this project. Both of them are sports titles: Madden '07 and All-Star Baseball 2002. The Madden game got pretty good ratings on GameFAQs but, it's an old Madden game. There is no resale value. The Baseball game was not very highly rated at all. I doubt either would be missed if they ended up in some acrylic.

No comments:

Post a Comment