Saturday, October 19, 2013

Game Emulators on a small low-powered Netbook...

I recently decided to pull my old Netbook out of storage and put some emulators on it since that device doesn't really have any other function anymore. Anyway, here's what has been done so far...

Emulators that I have successfully installed/used on my Netbook...

Stella 3.1.2 (Atari 2600)
ProSystem 1.3 (Atari 7800)
NESticle v0.42 (NES)
ZSNES (Super NES)

Emulators that need ROM's before I will install them...

I need ROMs that work for the following Emulators of various old systems. I'm not sure where I'll find some yet. I have yet to deploy my Google-Fu on the subject...

BGB version 1.12 (Original Nintendo GameBoy) http://bgb.bircd.org/
VisualBoyAdvance-1.8.0-beta3 (GBA)
Gens (SEGA Genesis)
Nostalgia 4.2 (Mattel Intellivision)
Project Tempest v0.95 (Atari Jaguar)
Project64 Version 1.6 (Nintendo 64)

I'm going to need something a LOT more powerful than my netbook to run Project Tempest. According to the official website, a 2+ GHz processor is needed to run the games with sound. It also hasn't been updated in over 9 years. Something tells me that the project has been abandoned. That's too bad...

Even worse, there's no Mac or Linux version. Guess I'll have to run that emulator on my Desktop on either the Windows drive or in WINE on the Linux drive. I'll try it in WINE first. If it doesn't work very well, I'll switch to the Windows drive. I'll also try it on that Win7 laptop of mine (which has also been sitting idle for a while) and see if it can run on that machine. If so, I may have found a new use for it besides editing videos for YouTube in Windows Movie Maker.

Anyway, the emulators installed are working fine. I'll need to find more ROMs for that Super NES emulator but, the others are fine for now. I have all (or at least most) of the ROM's I want for the Atari 2600/7800 and NES right now. Speaking of Atari 7800, there's a game I have heard of on that system for years called Ninja Golf, which I finally got to try. That game's whole premise is so whacky and absurd that it's downright awesome. Someone has to remake this game for modern machines. It would be a blast!

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment