Tuesday, December 10, 2013

More ideas for a Record Store...

While going through the (mostly) junk in my e-mail this morning, I came across a newsletter from cnet.com about some self-proclaimed audiophile being stoked that a huge record store just opened near his home in Brooklyn. Why is this relevant to me and this blog? Well, I have on 4 other occasions posted ideas for a combined record/game store I'd love to have one day. Here are the links...

Part 1 -

http://lordpublius.blogspot.com/2013/09/ideas-about-business-id-like-to-haverun.html

Part 2 -

http://lordpublius.blogspot.com/2013/09/potential-names-for-record-store.html

Part 3 -


http://lordpublius.blogspot.com/2013/09/about-that-record-store-idea-of-mine.html

Part 4 -

http://lordpublius.blogspot.com/2013/10/list-of-games-that-my-future-gamerecord.html

Now, this article I found this morning was interesting because it gave me more ideas. The idea of a music store NOT selling used vinyl and CD's isn't new. That used to be Standard Operating Procedure for the industry as a whole before MP3's and iTunes came along. I wouldn't mind doing that but, it might make the LP selection in my store a little sparse compared to CD's. Not every album gets an LP release, despite the format gaining popularity again. It's also not very likely that classic Rock albums that originally debuted on a LP years (or decades) before CD's existed will get LP re-releases again, either. That's just sad...

I do like the idea of having a space for in-store concerts and 'meet and greets' with Rock Stars but, that involves buying a large facility. The store in the article bought/converted an old warehouse. I PROBABLY couldn't do that if I started a used game store in Metairie. I probably could if the store was opened in New Orleans somewhere but, that defeats the purpose of having one close to the folks with spending cash out in the suburbs. There are also lots of warehouses in other parts of Jefferson Parish like Harahan and River Ridge but, that might still be too far for some of the people I'm trying to get as customers. You'd be surprised just how lazy some folks can be...

Anyway, I still want to make this happen someday. I'm also making a list of games I could take out of my personal collection to get the used game part of the store up and running right now. That will be in another post. Stay Tuned.

- Lord Publius


No comments:

Post a Comment