Friday, December 20, 2013

Video Idea: Pinball game comparison

After going through my game manifest, I noticed that I have acquired a LOT of pinball games over the last year. I had one or two before (namely the 2 pinball games featuring Sonic the Hedgehog and the pinball game that comes with Windows XP) but, the rest are all new to me. Anyway, I have noticed that the games are usually pretty good, regardless of what system they are on, and make for a lot of relatively mindless point-scoring fun. These games are no substitute for a real Pinball table in an arcade of course but, I don't have access to real machines. These will have to do.

I've also noticed that they (usually) get better and better with each new console generation, from Atari 2600 to PS2. So, I drew up the list of all the Pinball games I have (as of 19 Dec 2013) and now, I'm planning to do a comparison video for YouTube. (Or Vimeo if YouTube doesn't quit fucking around with copyright notices so much...)

I.) The Games

Atari 2600

Midnight Magic
Video Pinball

TI-99/4A

ZeroZap

NES

High Speed
Pinball
Pinbot
Rollerball

GBA

Pac-Man Pinball Advance
Sonic Pinball Party

SEGA Genesis

Sonic Spinball

SEGA Saturn

Hyper 3D Pinball

Windows XP

'Space Cadet' table from 3D Pinball

PS1

KISS Pinball
Pro Pinball Fantastic Journey

PS2


Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection

II.) What I need to make this video a reality...

- A TI-99/4A Computer, since I got cartridges for them but, no system
- A device that lets me connect RF Units to a modern HDTV
- Video-editing software that is a bit more capable than Windows Movie Maker
- A Video-capture device that can get video from all these systems and/or a PC running an emulator for some of the really old consoles like Atari 2600 and TI-99/4A

III.) Concerns

Once I have these things, I can get the video made. I might even use the classic song 'Pinball Wizard' by The Who, assuming it won't cause YouTube to lose their shit and flip out over a non-existent copyright infringement. I might also use the Elton John version from the movie Tommy. Both are quite good. I have an 8-Bit version of the song too. That won't be copyrighted...

The only real problems I see here are getting the footage from the Atari 2600, SEGA Saturn and TI-99/4A games since those consoles use RF units. The NES games, GBA games and Sonic Spinball should be easy enough to record from a modern HDTV using a NES 'Toaster' model with RCA cables, my Retron 3 (which will play NES, Super NES & Genesis games) and a GameCube with the GameBoy Player. Or, I can just wait for the Retron 5, which will play all of those systems and more. PS1 & PS2 games can be played on a PS2. I'm not sure how I'll go about getting the footage from the Windows XP game yet but, I'm sure that capture software is easily available for that task...

Of all these titles, the favorite for me is Hyper 3D Pinball for SEGA Saturn. It is easily the prettiest title and the controls are easy too. I haven't even played the 2 PS2 collections because my PS2 is 1,000 miles away from me right now and my PS3 doesn't have backward capability. However, I know the discs work and they were only 2 bucks each. Can't complain about that...

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment