Saturday, July 5, 2014

Atari wants back into the hardware business but, isn't making a new game system? WTF?

I found an article on Gamespot today about Atari wanting to get back into the hardware business again. However, they don't want to make new game systems. Okay...

FROM THE ARTICLE:

"I'm not talking about a new console... but, like, a watch. A gamified watch. It's not what we are going to do, but think about [something like] that," he said. This isn't to say Atari is necessarily planning to release a watch with its name on it, as Chesnais added, "Like a new type of watch is something we 'could do.' A watch, branded, where you don't have an 'ordinary watch.'"

Chesnais thinks Atari would have a chance with something like this because, unlike defunct publisher THQ, which he singled out, Atari is "a generational brand" and "a lifestyle brand."
"To give you another idea of something we could do, you have a jacket. We have a plug-in so you can power your iPhone or Android. You had a solar chip on your shoulder so that you power... so that you never run out of batteries," he explained. "Things like this. Would you buy an Atari watch? Would you buy an Atari Jacket that you could plug and repower your iPhone or whatever device you are using? I think you would... I think you would."

I'm confused by this article. If Atari wants to get back into hardware, then make a console or a portable. As much as I love Atari, it's a virtual guarantee that I would support a new Atari system. I don't care about a jacket or a watch with the Atari logo on it that can recharge my phone or iPod. As for being a 'lifestyle brand'... Yeah... That's just people that are giving free advertising to some company.

When I think of Atari, I think of games and fun. I do not think of clothing items or personal electronics that don't play games. Quit fucking around with my childhood and just get back to making games, guy.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment