Wednesday, July 9, 2014

On this day in History, July 9th...

Today, July 9th, is a significant day in History... 

On this day in 1776, George Washington orders the Declaration of Independence to be read out loud to members of the Continental Army in New York City for the first time.

On this day in 1868, The 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, guaranteeing African Americans full citizenship and all persons in the United States due process of law.

On this day in 1944, the Americans take Saipan and the Mariana Islands.

On this day in 1981, Donkey Kong, a video game created by Nintendo, is released. It features 'Jumpman' (later re-named 'Mario') as the player character.

It was on this day that I saw Kiss in concert for the first of three times, at the Louisiana Superdome. I was 14 at the time. I joined the Kiss Army that night. Here's a poster advertising that particular concert...





It was on this day in 2010 that I passed that last PT test in AIT for the United States Army... and witnessed something of a miracle in the process...  (It's a LONG story...)

It's also my last day as a soldier in the U.S. Army since my terminal leave ends today. Thank God that I made it out alive and in one piece.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment