Monday, June 8, 2015

Project Polybius

'Project Polybius ' is what I have decided to call the project that will result in me having my own MAME cabinet one day... Or an arcade cabinet with a TV and a few old consoles inside... One of the two...

The name came from an old urban legend about an incredibly addicting arcade game that was quickly pulled from its test market in Oregon. It also supposedly had 'Men in Black' regularly showing up in arcades to record high scores and people's reactions to the game. That's just creepy enough to make me glad that this game never actually existed. Besides, the Federal government isn't smart or devious enough to do something as evil as mind control to citizens. They can't even manage good social control with something that's actually real and quite evil like the U.S. Tax Code. Also, why would the Feds want to test this mind control device posing as a video game in Oregon of all places? That seems like a pretty random choice...

Either way, it should make for a cool name/conversation piece/WTF?! moment for gamers in the know when they see my home-made arcade cabinet. As this picture of a home-made cabinet using the name demonstrates, it can look pretty intimidating and weird.



Creepy...

Consoles to use with Project Polybius (since I have Arcade style joystick controllers for them...)


Atari

Atari 2600*

Nintendo

NES
SNES
GameCube**
Wii**

SEGA

Master System*
Genesis

Sony

PS1**
PS2**
PS3**

* = I have a few joystick controllers for them that might provide an 'arcade feel', if the console was put inside of an arcade cabinet. Those would be WICO Command Control sticks for the Atari 2600 and the Control Stick for the SEGA Master System.

** = All of these systems would be using an arcade joystick that I have, which works with PS1/2/3 & PC straight out of the box. It also works with GameCube, Wii and XBOX 360 when you have the right adapter. I don't have an adapter for XBOX 360 because that console is not in my collection. It's too unreliable.

And no, I won't be putting all of those consoles in the arcade cabinet at once. It would take up too much room. What I have in mind is just putting a PS2 slim and my Retron 3 in there, which gives me 6 systems to choose from: NES, SNES, Game Boy (via the Super GameBoy accessory for the SNES, which does work on a Retron 3) SEGA Genesis, PS1 & PS2. Those 5 systems would provide thousands of games that can be played WITHOUT me having to modify the cabinet or even change out the controllers very often. I don't know when this beast will be made but, when it is, it will be AWESOME. [/Insert Mad Scientist laugh here]

- Lord Publius

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADDENDUM - 1 Jan 2017:

    I have a few extra GameCube consoles in my collection and plenty of classic compilations and arcade-style games for that platform. That console can also be put into the cabinet along with a PS2 Phat that I've acquired and the Retron 3. :)

    ReplyDelete