Tuesday, June 18, 2013

PS3 may be mine after all...

A co-worker mentioned something about selling a 160GB PS3 today. I didn't get many details since there was no time to discuss it in-depth. All I know for sure is that he no longer has any games or a controller, either. I mentioned this to one of my neighbors. She said she might have an extra controller somewhere in her storage space. She's not sure if it's for PS3 or not but, it is a PlayStation controller of some type.

Assuming that everything goes as I have just laid it out, I would need to go find some games. Fortunately for me, there are a number of titles for the system that I find interesting and they are as follows...

Doom 3: BFG Edition - $18
God of War: Ascension - $28
God of War Saga Collection - $35
Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition - $14-15
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - $26
Ratchet & Clank Collection - $26
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - $17-18
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time - $13
Sonic Generations - $15
Tomb Raider - $30
Wolfenstein - $21

TOTAL: $245 at most, assuming Amazon doesn't change their prices.

So, if I get this console for $60 (and assuming it has everything it would need to function) all 11 game titles for $245 and this controller for free... I'd be spending approximately $305 for a very powerful console and 11 world-class AAA gaming titles. That sounds like a pretty good deal. Of course, I doubt I'd be ordering all those games at once.

The only potential downsides are possible hardware failure (which from what I have read is considered statistically low) and needing to free up one of my TV set's 2 HDMI ports. They are both currently occupied by my Blu-Ray player and my Nintendo WiiU. Since all PS3 models have a built-in Blu-Ray player, I guess my stand-alone unit will be getting boxed up and put in storage until my permanent return to my home in New Orleans.

Also, I may inherit the PS3 my younger brother bought years ago to act as a 'cheap' Blu-Ray player. At the time, that made sense to do. Now, Blu-Ray is ubiquitous. My stand-alone player was acquired from a local Wal-Mart location on sale for $68 around Christmas time of 2011. They are likely to be even cheaper now. 'Why would you be inheriting your brother's game console?' you ask? Well, he doesn't have much use for it anymore. (Or so he says...) Also, I have already inherited a console from him before. After two years of play, he got bored with his XBOX and gave it to me as a Birthday gift in 2004. I have enjoyed that console immensely and I'm sure I'd have a similar experience with PlayStation 3.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment