Sunday, July 21, 2013

An Art project that excites my inner Mad Scientist...

I have an idea for an art project that excites my inner Mad Scientist because of the chemistry involved. I'm going to make/enhance 2 coffee tables with a top layer of epoxy resin containing various worn out/unplayable media inside. It's very much like what's in these two videos here...

Part 1 - http://youtu.be/-37FeNedGd0

Part 2 (Revised) - http://youtu.be/Sc_BYLNQk8U

I like the glorified chess board they made in those two videos as well. I might make one of those too. It would look cool in my game room and/or man cave.

Anyway...

One coffee table will have a few old records, CD's and cassette tapes that don't play right anymore embedded in the casting resin. The other will have a few old video games of mine that are also damaged beyond playability. With collections as large as mine, finding materials for the project will not be difficult.

The music table will consist of the following items:

- A 45 single of Elvis Presley that is hopelessly scratched. (This one just makes me sad...)

- LP's of Black Sabbath's Paranoid album and Led Zeppelin IV that are scratched too badly to play. (Don't worry, I have back-up copies of these two albums on multiple formats.)

- An old/worn-out tape of AC/DC's 'For those about to Rock' album, which I recently acquired on a flawless LP a few days ago. The liner notes that came with the tape will also go into the resin along with the tape itself. The case will be re-used for any other old tapes of mine that may need one.

The game table will consist of the following items:

- An old copy of River Raid for the Atari 2600 that I can't seem to get to work... It will be spared if I can get it to work between now and when I start the project.

- The copy of Soul Calibur that I found at a yard sale today, if my suspicions are correct and it turns out to be unplayable...

- Assuming I still have it in storage, my younger brother's old SEGA Genesis model 2 console. Both the power and reset buttons are stuck in the down position, making it unusable.

I could probably get that Genesis fixed (or fix it myself) but, I have 2 others and a clone console that will play Genesis, NES & Super NES games. Why bother fixing it when it's not needed and not difficult to replace? It doesn't have the same sentimental value as my first NES console.

- Lord Publius

ADDENDUM

I have an idea for a third table with a Star Trek theme, using what few Star Trek Micro Machines that I still have. (I used to have dozens when I was a child.) I'm sure there are plenty of other things I could put into a Star Trek themed table as well.

Also, I forgot to add a few pictures that demonstrate what I'm talking about, since I know most people are not going to follow the links to those videos...








Not bad, heh?


ADDENDUM 17 AUG 2013: I have another old Atari 2600 cartridge for the game table now: a title called Othello. There's also an old 78 record of Wagner that I broke last night that can go into the music table. If I can get the necessary materials, I can also do one of old computer media (CD-ROM's of obsolete programs, floppy disks, dead USB flash drives, et al.) as well.

ADDENDUM 20 SEP 2013: Yet another old Atari cartridge I can add to the mix, a game called Atlantis. I'm glad I do have working copies of Atlantis and River Raid. Too bad I don't have one for Othello. I might even use a few old carts from other systems that I just don't want to play anymore or that were never any good, anyway. There should be no shortage of games like that...







No comments:

Post a Comment