Monday, July 1, 2013

That rare breed known as the Aspie female...

I say 'rare' because not many are diagnosed compared to the males. Most of them fly under the radar because females get a LOT more social training from a much earlier age than males do. That's why many of them don't get diagnosed until adolescence and High School. Of course, I didn't know until I was 29 so, I guess everyone's story is different.

Anyway, I bring this up because I found a blog at WordPress that's authored by a mental health professional specializing in treatment for Aspie females. I found two good articles in this blog: One about how they keep themselves hidden and another with the first signs of young girls having Asperger's Syndrome.

As I read through it, I noticed that much of what was there is virtually identical to what's typical for male Aspies. I wonder if this condition is a lot more gender neutral than the shrinks seem to think. I guess I'll have to ask my shrink about that the next time I see him.

Either way, I find myself thinking about what it would be like to find a mate/spouse/friend with benefits/whatever who's also on this 'autism spectrum' that the shrinks invented. Would that make it easier for me to interact with her or would it just present a different set of challenges than the Neuro-typicals?

Fortunately, I do have a way to learn about their perspective. There's an Aspie female from Denmark named Maja Toudal that has a profile on YouTube where she makes all kinds of Aspie videos. They have been quite informative and I've become a fan of this person. I don't remember how I found this person but, I sure am glad that I did. She does a great job of explaining her perspective and what it's like being an Aspie. Even one of my NT friends likes her. I find the video she did on the positives of Aspergian living to be quite insightful and nearly 100% exactly like my life too. How can I find someone like that where I live in the United States? I sure would like to know...

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment