Monday, September 16, 2013

Potential names for a Record store...

Over this past weekend, I published a blog detailing what I would do if I ran an independent record store. I had just about everything laid out, including decorations, store hours and company policy on trade-in items. All that was missing was a name. An Army buddy from Basic Training suggested 'Metarock', which I liked. It works on a number of levels, especially if I can open it in my hometown, the New Orleans suburb known as Metairie. (Thanks, Sonny.)

Then, sometime earlier today, I realized that I had a spreadsheet full of potential music-related names for albums, bands and even record companies. How I forgot about this list I made and have been maintaining since High School, I'll never know.

Some of those record company names were also quite applicable to a small independent record store as well. Here are the ones that I thought were potentially usable, along with an explanation of how I got that name...

Anti-Establishment Records - Should be obvious.

Asylum - The 1985 KISS record of the same name.

Bad Ass Records - I'm not sure where this name came from but, it certainly sounds pretty cool...

Bald Cypress - State tree of Louisiana.

Bayou State - Another Louisiana reference.

Cypress - A reference to a place called 'Cypress Hall' where I had seen MANY underground Metal shows.

Devil Music - Religious assholes making ridiculous claims about Rock music.

Escape from Hell - The song "Escape" on MetallicA's Ride the Lightning album.

Enterprise - The dictionary definition and the fictional starship.

Galaxy - The Galaxy Class Starship from Star Trek.

Heavenly - I've always thought that a good record sounded rather heavenly...

Invicta - Latin for 'Undefeated' and a really cool car that Buick once made.

Jendell - Ace Frehley's home planet.

Liberty - Should be obvious.

Scorched Earth - It just popped into my head one day.

Slave Music - The origin of virtually ALL forms of American music, especially if there are guitars.

Socially Hazardous Records/Entertainment - Should be obvious.

Anyone have any additions that they care to make to this list?

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment