Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Getting a PS3 controller to work with emulators

SUCCESS!!!

After spending 2 hours (or more) on this little Mad Science project, I FINALLY got the damned thing to work! I now have the ability to use a PS3 controller while playing games on a Super NES emulator.  (In this case, a 64-Bit compatible version of ZSNES that I found online.) It was a long and arduous journey into the Nerd Kingdom, a truly EPIC quest, to be sure. However, I was VICTORIOUS.

First, I had to replace my NES and SuperNES emulators since the old ones didn't work with 64-Bit Windows 7. I decided to run these emulators on my laptop since it hasn't had any other real use for months now. Surprisingly, my emulators for Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 (Stella 3.6 and ProSystem 1.3, respectively) worked fine. Go figure...  Anyway, I got ZSNES v1.51 for Super NES and NEStopia 1.40 for the NES games.

After that, I had to download a program called MotioninJoy, to configure the controllers. While Windows recognized the device, it still did not work. Why? Because there were no drivers installed. Fuck!!!

So, I went to MotininJoy's download website for the drivers and installed them. After they were installed, MotioninJoy recognized the controller and I could test all the buttons and analog sticks. It all worked fine. :)

After all of that trouble, ZSNES FINALLY let me configure the controls for the PS3 Controller to work in that program. Before I knew it, I was playing the first level in Super Mario World. Yay!

As always, there are kinks to work out (i.e. Mario refusing to jump off of Yoshi's back)  but, it works. I am happy for now.
I'll work out said kinks, configure the other emulators and get my old PS2 controller to work with them sometime later. I'm tired and I want to do something else now.

- Lord Publius


No comments:

Post a Comment