Thursday, December 19, 2013

An early Christmas (gaming-related) miracle?!

Earlier tonight, I may have been a witness to an early Christmas gaming-related miracle. For years now, I have been on the hunt for a console I once had but, foolishly sold when I needed money. Actually, there were several consoles that ended their relationship with me that way. However, this one was very special. It was the first I had bought with my own money, the last hurrah for its manufacturer and a truly unique piece of gaming history.

As if by some grand design hatched by a supreme being, I have been able to re-acquire some of the stuff I had for this console in recent months. A controller here, a few cartridges there. Then, the local game store I frequent came across the RF Modulator and AC Adapter for this console. Still, the console was beyond my grasp... Until tonight...

I saw on Facebook this morning that Play Raven got more old Atari 2600 cartridges in stock and commented that I would be there later. Since I went to work later, I didn't see how the owner replied saying that 'Santa' had come and dropped something off... Something 'Red and Black'... He figured I would know what that meant and he figured right. If I had seen that response, I would have shit bricks.

(By the way, 'Santa' was actually some guys that buy the contents of abandoned storage containers, found some game stuff and sold it to the store after remembering it from a story in the local paper.)

Anyway, I went to the place to see the new influx of Atari 2600 cartridges and get a few plastic cases for NES & Super NES cartridges, if they were available. It was then that he showed me what it was that 'Santa' had brought... I was absolutely shocked when I saw it, even if my usual stone-faced expression hadn't changed. When I laid eyes on it, it was just like the scene in Star Trek: The Motion Picture where Admiral Kirk first laid eyes on the newly refitted Starship Enterprise. It was like seeing an old friend for the first time in many years. Even now, I can hardly believe that it is in my possession. It's only the console itself that was in that lot that 'Santa' had brought. No cables, controllers or game cartridges. Like a dumbass, I had sent all that stuff home 2 weeks ago in a big box full of old games. All the stuff I'd need to enjoy this beast, this Frankenstein's Monster of a console are in a box in my Fortress of Solitude/storage area back home in Louisiana.

F*CK!!!

So, until I head home, whenever that is going to be, I have to wait to relive this wonderful part of my adolescence. However, it's worth the wait. It's also worth the risk of picking up some equipment that may not be working right. I'm pretty good with technology. I can fix it if it's having some technical issues. I am sure it will work, though. Otherwise, I have a fairly inexpensive (and cool) museum piece that will accompany a *quite* expensive replacement from some website like Amazon, eBay or GameGavel. Either way, I will play this system again.

"WHAT SYSTEM?!" You're all probably asking by now. Well, let's look at the clues...

1.) It's red and black...

2.) I have been able to get just about everything but the console itself before now... and I have definitely mentioned it in previous blog posts...

3.) I referred to it as a 'Beast' and a 'Frankenstein's Monster'. Both of which are appropriate due to its name and unique hardware architecture.

4.) It's one of those consoles that I sold years ago to make money when I needed it... All of those consoles were from Atari. I now once again have all the 2600 and 7800 stuff that I used to have, and much more. So, that leaves just one option...



I feel like I've gone back in time to 1996... And, in this case, that is actually a good thing...

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment