Sunday, December 22, 2013

Bad game store reviews...

While looking up Retron 5 info on the Hyperkin website, I found a review for a used game store in California called '1UP Videogames.' I came away from that short review with several thoughts...

1.) The reviewer seems to be pretty new to retro gaming and collecting, based on what I read. I'm willing to bet he's also really young since he talked about having to choose between a PlayStation and N64 when he was a child.

2.) FYI, choosing PlayStation over N64 is an EPIC FAIL.

3.) Atari wasn't mentioned even once. How do you have a retro game store without some Atari stuff? That is non-sequitur and quite illogical.

4.) He was impressed that the store had an arcade machine, namely an entry in the ubiquitous Street Fighter franchise. That isn't exactly new or unique to this store. I've seen arcade machines at other retro game stores like Digital Press up in Clifton, New Jersey. (And a few other stores in various YouTube videos...)

5.) He was also surprised (or seemed to be) that there would be a PS3 set up for folks to play, again with a Street Fighter game. That is also very common. It allows customers to try certain titles before purchase and makes holding tournaments a lot easier. I've been seeing that since the days I went to a chain of retro game stores in New Orleans called 'The Gametrader.' They are gone now and also dearly missed. They gave me most of the ideas I have for what my future game store will be like, once it gets started anyway... (Not to mention a LOT of ideas on what I will not do...)

6.) There's a whole paragraph about how good Mega Man X looks on the new Retron 5. I know this article is on that clone console's manufacturer's website but, it just seems like bad form to me to have it there. It tells me nothing about the game store you visited, guy. Also, I know that Mega Man X is awesome. I have several copies of it on various different platforms.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment