Saturday, February 22, 2014

Gene Simmons: "The fans killed the record industry"



Gene always did have some very controversial opinions... And so do I...

In my far less than humble opinion, I don't believe that fans killed the music industry. The industry killed themselves by not offering a lot of good product for the last 20+ years. They went with the trend when Nirvana (somehow) got big and then the music turned to CRAP.  I still buy Records and CD's when you offer me a product that is worth a purchase. I did during the Napster era too. Instead of stealing music, I used it to sample new bands. If I liked them, I went out and bought their albums.

However, he is right about Rock Stars suddenly becoming pussy whiners instead of chick magnets with the Hugh Hefner lifestyle that we all wish we had. On that, Gene and I definitely agree. I despise grunge for that AND making very boring music. That's also why I tended to ignore virtually every band that came and went in the 1990's and early 2000's. I knew they didn't matter and wouldn't last. How could they when the KISS Reunion of 1996-97 turned into the defining musical event of those 2 years? Everyone and their mother swore that Hard Rock was dead and that big stage shows didn't matter anymore. Then, an old 1970's act comes along and DESTROYS them all. Hell, Metallica had more influence over time than Nirvana did and they didn't release a single album in all the time Nirvana was signed to a major record label. Want to tell me again about how much people love Nirvana, music industry? Hell, Metallica released 2 records with songs that felt like they had a Nirvana/grunge influence (Load and Reload) and fans started turning on them. That should be a valuable lesson to the band and music industry as a whole. Unfortunately, they didn't listen.

Nirvana still (sadly) survives in the popular consciousness as a 'period piece' type of band. Hipsters probably collect their albums now since anything retro is automatically cool to them. However, I won't miss them or that era. I doubt anyone who didn't grow up in that era would get into them either, except the aforementioned Hipsters. I remember once in high school (we're talking about the year 2000 or 2001 here) when I tried to give my Nirvana CD's to a friend. After a few months, he gave them back. That makes me laugh when I think about it now. Also, I don't remember anyone in High School even talking about Nirvana. For a band that supposedly had so much influence, why was no one talking about them? It wasn't that long after Nirvana ended, either. My high school years were 1997-2001. Nirvana lost its head (tee hee) and died in 1994. A band that is so 'influential' would not be so quickly forgotten only 3-7 years after they split. After all, no one ever forgot The Beatles.

Also Gene, Rap is NOT the biggest thing in music today. People outside of the Black community and stupid white kids in suburbia usually HATE that shit more than Punkers hated Disco in the 1970's. Bragging about their money and access to women doesn't make them look like a Rock Star, either. The way they do it usually just makes them look obnoxious and RETARDED.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment