Monday, November 24, 2014

10 Random Thoughts for 24 Nov 2014


It's been nearly 2 weeks so, I think it's time to post something...

1.) About this feminist that's got a lot of bones to pick with female portrayal in games, Anita Sarkeesian...

I'll be honest. I think she reads into things too much. She's not giving gamers enough credit, either. Most of us are not fanboy losers that obsess over CoD and some perceived 'console war'.  That being said, I am quite disappointed with all those gamers who are targeting her and making death threats. Way to try and prove her case for her, assholes...

Threatening her for having an opinion is wrong and definitely NOT in keeping with the spirit of a Free Republic. Knock that shit off.

2.) I'm settling into my new job fairly well. There have been a few annoyances but, so far, it's nothing that can't be fixed. That being said, something needs to be addressed here. My father works for the same company in a different part of the country. He's in Indiana and I'm in California. He wants to stay there for a year and thinks that our employer will ask us to stay in our respective places that long. It won't happen for me. I was told that I'd be out here on the West Coast through 31 Dec 2014. I'm holding them to that because I don't want to be out here any longer than that date. And recently, the plans changed and all of us Independent Adjusters are going to 1 of 5 locations. My father's current location is one of them. I prefer to go to 1 of the 3 locations in the South. The cost of living is much more agreeable and there's no cold northern winters.

Besides, my license to be a Independent Comprehensive Adjuster will need to be renewed by the end of January. I'll have to do a minimum number of hours of continuing education too. I'll also have to deal with taxes and figure out a way to get the VA to straighten out their shit with regard to my case. (More on that in another post at some future date.)

I could do most (if not all) of that here in California but, it would be easier to do it at home. Also, the air quality and costs of living here in Bakersfield are NOT acceptable at all. Why is it that EVERY SINGLE PLACE that I go to in the world always ends up being inferior to Southeast Louisiana and Coastal Mississippi? And while were on the subject, why do I find myself NOT giving a shit about the world outside of Louisiana and Mississippi?

Besides, by January, assuming all goes according to plan, I'll have the cash to wipe out my debts. Once that happens, I'll be much more able to pursue my current life ambition: running a retro game store/arcade/bar & grill.

I'm drawing up the business plan as you read this blog. I already know I can get loans from numerous sources because I'm a veteran and have good credit. I've also got several hundred titles in storage right now that can serve as product for the store shelves on opening day. We'll have a good sampling of stuff from Atari 2600 to XBOX and everything in between. I can always find more from garage sales and flea markets too. The only things holding me back is investment capital. Finding retail space and the employees I'll need shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I know plenty of people who would be an asset to that business enterprise and a few good locations up for lease in NOLA right now.

Simply put, I want to be able to put down roots in the one place where I belong (New Orleans) and STAY there. If I have to work 6 or 7 days a week, I'll work 6 or 7 days a week. I just don't want it to be far from home in a job that doesn't really suit me. I had enough of that crap with the Army. I shouldn't have to take that garbage from civilian life too.

Don't get me wrong, though. My current job isn't bad. It just has really long hours and can often leave me feeling bored or confused by a truly atrocious software platform for handling the customer's insurance claims. Also, I will probably stick with the Insurance business for a while just to build up a nice cash reserve. The money is pretty good. It might prove helpful in getting my dream business off the ground.

3.) I am thinking of getting a Netflix subscription someday. I just used torrents before but, that wasn't always helpful in finding what I wanted. Besides, Netflix has  a LOT of classic Doctor Who serials. I know because I've watched many of them at my mother's house on her really bitchin' 70" 3D HDTV with a Bose surround sound system. That TV is awesome. :)

Even if I don't get it, I still have all my Blu-Ray movies here with me and a number of games. I'm good on entertainment. The only thing lacking is a significant amount of time. I'm working 60 hours a week.

4.) I'm probably going to need to build a new desktop PC sometime soon. My current one was made in 2008 and has had a number of upgrades since that time. It's also running Linux so, the software isn't going to overpower the hardware anytime soon like with a Windows machine. That being said, there will still be a need for a modern Windows machine because some programs and websites just require Windows or Internet Explorer. (And I feel sickened having to write that too.)

So, the next machine will still be running Linux but, I'll use CRU Data Ports for removable hard drives. That way, I can have my Linux and Windows installs without having to go through the trouble of setting up a dual/multi-boot scenario on the machine. That sort of set-up is a pain in the neck, especially if you want to try/upgrade/change to different operating systems in the future. Hopefully, I can keep the costs below $1,000...

5.) I'm probably going to need a new vehicle in about 2 years too. My current vehicle is beginning to show its age.Hopefully, I can keep the costs for that below $30,000. (Lolz...)

6.) It sucks that I will be missing a bunch of fall/winter holidays in NOLA for yet another year. I'll especially miss the House of Shock since this is the last year it will be open. So, once again, my Halloween is going to be limited to watching horror movies. Thanksgiving and Christmas are up in the air right now. Wasn't I supposed to get away from that kind of shit once I left the Army? I am supposed to be going to a co-worker's Thanksgiving celebration for all of us in the office. That should be interesting...

7.) I've also been following this news story about the actor Stephen Collins being accused of being a fucking child molester. As if Star Trek: The Motion Picture didn't have enough problems, now it just might have a damned Chester M. Olester in a leading guest role. Whisky Tango Foxtrot? Also, I sincerely hope he didn't try anything inappropriate with Jessica Biel when she was under age and co-starring on 7th Heaven with him. Then, me and JT are gonna have to hunt him down.

8.) I am still laughing at a certain dumbass that I used to know in the Army. He has no idea he's been trolled and that I don't actually hate fat chicks. However, making him think I did was a great way to trick him into revealing his true opinions of me. I had a feeling he was just a little snake-in-the-grass bastard and a sideline hater...

9.) Rioting and looting are not going to get a cop indicted or bring back the 18 year old that, for whatever reason, he shot to death. What's going on in Ferguson tonight is just plain retarded.

10.) I'm writing a lot of killer shit for this blog too, some of it *quite* controversial. There'll be 2 posts on why I hate the Democratic Party, a post explaining why criminalizing prostitution is retarded, and the usual music and video game-related stuff you've come to expect from me.

Oh, and a post about the Devil's Super HUGE Demon Boner. That is all.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment