Sunday, December 21, 2014

Retro Game hunting in Bakersfield, CA

Even though I am leaving California next month, I am a creature of habit. And I wanted to see if there was a good hunting ground here for old games. If the six local Goodwill locations are any indication, I'd have to say that, despite a few oddities, the hunting here is fairly poor.

Location #1

At the first stop, there were...
  • A collection of PS2 & XBOX consoles, in various states of disrepair...
  • A PS1...
  • Some Guitar Hero controllers no one wanted...
  • A boxed copy of some football game for SEGA Genesis...
  • An arcade machine of Smash T.V., listed for about $900. Don't ask me if it's worth that much or if it worked because I do not know. I wouldn't have had a way to get it home anyway...
  • A small stack of PS2 games, which I raided for some very good condition copies of Burnout Dominator and L.A. Rush. I had a loose disc copy of L.A. Rush already but, the Burnout game was one of the titles still on my want list. Way to go so far, Goodwill...

Location #2

The only thing game-related at this place was an unopened TV Plug'N'Play game with a few sports titles that EA made for the SEGA Genesis in the Mid-90's. Even if it was only $4, I can't say that I really want something like that for my collection. It has no resale value that I know of, either.

Location #3

This small location was almost nothing but books. I did find a few game guides (and picked up one for the PC version of Quake II) but, that's all. Lame.

Location #4

Not a damned thing related to games.

Location #5

Here, we hit some pay dirt... Sort of... I found more Plug'N'Play stuff here but, it was good Plug'N'Play stuff. Namely...

Location #6

Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero items related to games.

And there you have it, folks. Retro-game hunting in Bakersfield. Not overly exciting at all. And this is one of the few reasons I have for missing Maryland. The retro game scene there is alive and vibrant. Here, it's practically non-existent. Glad I'm going home to NOLA in a few weeks...

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment