Monday, March 2, 2015

On the passing of Mr. Leonard Nimoy...

There's nothing I can really say that hasn't already been said since Friday. I have been quiet about it here on this blog (but certainly not on my personal Facebook page) because I just haven't been able to function. However, Admiral Kirk already said it best in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan...

We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... Human.




It seems oddly fitting that the eulogy for the character in that movie also works for the actor as well. The world is certainly a much better place for having him here for nearly 84 years. Not only because of his own good works but also in what he inspired in so many others.

It's also interesting to note that the funeral scene in Wrath of Khan was not part of the original story. When Paramount did a screen test with people they pulled off the street, people were literally crying like babies when they saw Spock die. So, in a panic, they added the funeral scene and Spock doing the famous opening monologue from the original series just before the credits rolled. It was meant to give the audience some solace and closure. And now that the actor behind the character has actually passed away, everyone went back to that scene looking for comfort. Looks like the studio's plan to soften the blow actually worked... to a certain extent.

There have still been many tears shed at the news since I first heard on Friday. I found it difficult to function. All of my plans for the weekend were cancelled. I haven't been able to find much solace in anything, either. Life will go on but, it will never really be the same. It feels like a beloved teacher or grandfather just passed away... And I don't know how to process those feelings since I'm one of those rare Humans that is neurologically wired to think and act more like a Vulcan...

RIP, Mr. Spock. Logical or not, you will be greatly missed.





- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment