Sunday, October 25, 2015

Retro Game stores really are everywhere...

So, I go looking for the local Verizon store this morning so I can pay my bill. And what do I see 2 doors down in the strip mall from this Verizon store? A retro game/used movie/music/old electronics store.

Retro game stores really are just about everywhere. I have got to get into that market someday...

I thought the prices were a little high and the selection from SEGA & Nintendo cartridge-based systems was relatively scant. There was also virtually no Atari stuff to speak of, just a few Flashback units and some old 2600 & 7800 stuff buried under mountains of consoles behind the counter. That is no way to treat the products of the company that created the game industry. There was even a boxed Oddyssey2 system. I haven't ever seen that before.

However much the place may have lacked in true retro goodness, they had made up for it with enough PS2, PS3, XBOX, XBOX 360 & Wii stuff to last to the apocalypse. There were also a fair number of games for later portables like GBA, DS, PSP & PS Vita. Even some stuff for Wii U, PS4 & XB1. There was at least one PSP title I want, Atari Classics Evolved, there as well for $10. Not bad...

However, what most impressed me was their GameCube section. They had at 3 of the 7 games on my want list for that system. Those titles were...

I-Ninja, which was a multi platform game on PS2 & XBOX as well. However, I wanted the GameCube version since platformers are usually better on a Nintendo system. I don't know why. They just are.

Tube Slider, a racing game that came highly recommended by YouTuber MetalJesus in one of his GameCube Hidden Gem videos.

And...

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Yes, that hard to find, VERY expensive, unique survival horror game that Nintendo made for the GameCube as a launch title.

I didn't buy any of these games today. I'm conserving my cash right now since business travel can get really expensive. Also, I wasn't sure if the price was fair. They all seemed high to me. So, I decided to do some checking via Video Game Price Charting first. Here's what I found in my research...

Atari Classics Evolved
Store price: $9.99
VGPC price: $11.50 (Complete)

I-Ninja
Store price: $7.99
VGPC price: $14.47 (Complete)

Tube Slider
Store price: $19.99
VGPC price: $14.99 (Complete)

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Store price: $39.99
VGPC price: $32.79 (Complete)

So, some were higher than VGPC and some are not. However, all of these prices are fairly reasonable. After I start collecting a few paychecks, I'm going to go back and get them. (Assuming they are still there.) It's funny, I didn't even go looking for this place. It was the furthest thing from my mind. However, this hobby of mine somehow finds a way to empty my wallet when I least suspect... Whatever. I'm about to (maybe) acquire 3 of the 7 games for GameCube that I want and don't yet have, and a sweet greatest hits collection for PSP. Awesome.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment