Thursday, April 7, 2016

Bake my cake or I'll get the government involved!

I know this topic is old news for some but, the Leftists have gone way too damned far. Passing laws that force a bakery owned by Christians to make a cake for a gay wedding is ridiculous. And this post will explain why.

Earlier tonight, I found myself reading a blog post on a site called 'Intellectual Take Out'. The post was about why it's wrong to force a business to take orders from a customer they don't want to work for. They used the example of a Jewish baker being forced to make a cake with a Swastika on it for a Neo-Nazi.

No one with any shred of Human decency would force the Jewish baker to make that cake. Yet, for some reason, it's okay to force a conservative Christian to make a cake for a homosexual couple's wedding reception. You wouldn't force the Jew to do something he found incredibly disgusting and offensive but, you would force the Christian? Seeing the hypocrisy here? Left-wingers obviously don't.

They immediately took the side of the gay couple and assumed that the Christian baker was being bigoted and intolerant. However, the Christian baker did make a recommendation to the couple about another baker who would do the job. A sensible person would decide to not bother the Christian baker and go to the baker who would take their order and make the cake. That's how a free market works. Someone will recognize the need in the marketplace and find a way to fill that need and make a profit for themselves. It's actually a beautiful thing... Also, I want to know what kind of cake the gay couple wanted to have. Was it a traditional wedding cake with 2 grooms on top instead of a groom and bride? Or, was it something homoerotic? If it was the latter of those two options, I can understand the Christian baker's polite refusal of the contract.

There were also a few lines towards the end of that post that caught my attention:

"Sacrificing principle for the sake of marginalized groups is short-sighted. If you accept the infringement of human rights as an acceptable political weapon, that weapon will eventually be turned on the very people you want to help."

If I own a business, ANY business, I also have the right NOT to take someone's business. I don't need a reason, either.

Let's use the bakery as an example. Let's say I'm a baker and some Neo-Nazi walks in, asking me to make a cake with a Swastika on top. Or, how about a Communist asking for one with a Hammer & Sickle. I'm going to refuse both of these prospective customers. That kind of cake being made by my business will drive away prospective customers that, like me, despise the evils of Fascism and Communism. I won't make a cake for a gay wedding with a picture of 2 guys pounding each other's ass, either. That is gross and offensive. It would repulse me and my other customers. Conservative Christians won't do business with someone that makes a cake for gay weddings. Jews won't do business with someone who made a cake for the local Neo-Nazi group's monthly meeting, either. Americans of virtually any stripe won't do business with someone percieved to be a fuckin' commie puke, either. And since Jews, Christians & real Americans are a MUCH larger market demographic, I choose to appeal to them instead.

Also, there is one other very important question in this case that needs to be asked: Where does it end?

Am I as a business owner allowed to turn away customers that are being disruptive? Will we tell a bar owner that he can't refuse alcohol to someone that's clearly drunk? How about a restaurateur not being allowed to ask loud and disruptive diners to leave the establishment? How about a car dealer that no longer wants to waste time on a prospective customer that has terrible credit and just can't afford to buy ANYTHING on the lot? Will you pass laws forcing them to take on clients that would be terrible for their business too?

The Leftists here are looking at things through a really skewed point of view, especially when they think of business owners. They act as if every one of them is a would-be Robber Baron. That is just not true. It wasn't even true for the people who were actually called Robber Barons.

In the world of business, PROFIT trumps all considerations that don't involve ethical conflicts. Something that would adversely affect my long-term integrity in the eyes of the public (like taking whatever job comes along just for a quick buck) would be an ethical conflict that adversely affects my profit. That's a no-go. Besides, the pursuit of money/profit tends to make businesses behave themselves, to a certain extent. I'm not going to tell a Muslim wearing a turban to get out of my business just because he's a Muslim. Even if I did hate Muslims, I would still serve him if he had enough green in his pocket. After all, pulling out a shotgun and saying 'Beat it, Sand-N****r!' would drive away all of my other customers too. Even if the incredibly deplorable racism didn't scare them away, the shotgun sure would! And since I know that kind of discrimination would adversely affect my business, I as a business owner would NOT act that way.

And for those who I know will ask, I do not have a problem with a cake that has a Muslim Crescent on the top. I won't make a cake with an ISIS flag on it like a Wal-Mart bakery in Slidell, Louisiana did but, a Crescent is not offensive or evil.


- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment