Sunday, July 9, 2017

July 9th...

July 9th is an interesting day. On this day in 2010, I passed that last PT test in AIT @ Fort Gordon and witnessed a miracle. And that's a long story I will have to tell later, probably on Veteran's Day.

On this day in 2014, my terminal leave ended & I was officially out of the Army. So, when I wake up tomorrow, I will no longer be a 'recently separated' veteran. I'm not even sure why that was an important distinction to the VA but, it apparently meant something to them.

All I plan to do to mark that occasion is laugh at Uncle Sam for his foolishness and carry on with my daily life. Despite all the trials and tribulations, I still came out on top. Not to mention getting quite a few unexpected benefits (especially from the VA) from being one of the more insane forms of Federal Government employee...

Coincidentally (or, perhaps not so coincidentally), the sermon at church today was about going through Life's trials. The pastor used the Navy SEALs training regimen and 'Hell Week' as an example. There were several verses used to discuss trials in life but, the most important ones were James 1:2-4...

2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4 And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Like most people, I wouldn't have thought of any of life's trials (especially the ones I had to endure with the Army) as a good thing in any way. At least, not at the time. However, one often lacks perspective of the big picture when you're in the middle of the screwball situation in question. Besides, those verses came from a letter written by James, the oldest of Jesus' younger siblings that were born to Joseph and Mary. Who am I to try to debate someone who literally grew up with the savior, in addition to walking with him?

EDIT: 9 July 2017 1905 HRS

Just saw on Facebook that today is also the same day that KISS played in New Orleans on their 1996-97 Alive/Worldwide Reunion Tour. That was the first time I got to see my favorite band in concert. Here's a poster for that show...


And you can see a video of that concert here.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment