Thursday, March 8, 2018

Which platform (if any) should be my Nintendo Switch alternative?

Now that I am making slightly more money that I used to, I can afford to start buying NEW games for once instead of raiding thrift stores and garage sales for old gems. However, which console should I buy? I took a look at prices and the items on my want list for each of the current platforms to make a decision. The results were NOT a surprise to me. Please note that this this list is always subject to change.

1.) Console price

Switch: Already in my inventory.
Steam: Already running on my computer with client application that's free to download.
PS4: $300 for original model, $400 for PS4 Pro
XB1: $249-$400 for various XBOX One S bundles, $500 for XBOX One X.

THIS SECTION'S WINNER: Microsoft, if they have an XBOX One S bundle for $249 that I want. Otherwise, it's Nintendo.  We'll call it a tie between Microsoft and Nintendo.

2.) Number of games for these platforms that I want...

Switch: 10 physical, 19 Digital, 1 add-on for a digital title.
Steam: 12 (13, if you include that expansion pack...)
PS4: 11
XB1: 7

THIS SECTION'S WINNER: Nintendo

3.) Console exclusives that are on my wanted list...

NOTE: Some of these 'exclusive' titles are available for systems that are now defunct.

Switch: 14
Steam: 3
PS4: 1
XB1: 3 (Maybe 2 if I decide to remove the HALO Master Chief Collection since it's really buggy...)

THIS SECTION'S WINNER: Nintendo

4.) Brand Loyalty

NOTE: This section will refer to the individual platforms I have from these manufacturers, not the number of consoles, portables & different versions. I have duplicates of many consoles & portables in my collection.

Microsoft: 1
Nintendo: 12 (13, if you include the e-Reader accessory for the GBA.)
Sony: 5
Valve: N/A.

THIS SECTION'S WINNER: Nintendo




OVERALL WINNER:

Nintendo Switch (As if there were any doubt...)

CONSOLE TO BE MY 'MACHINE TO PLAY MULTI-PLATFORM GAMES':

Microsoft XBOX One S, because it's cheaper than the two PS4 models and XBOX One X. It also has more exclusives that interest me. The Switch could also take the lead in this area too. Nintendo is getting Switch ports of some modern games from franchises like Doom and Wolfenstein.

OTHER OPTIONS IF NONE OF THESE CONSOLES ARE ATTAINABLE: 

- Buy games for platforms that I already have, including PC. Steam has sales all the time.

- Clone consoles like the Retron 5 and/or Retron 77?

- Download ROMs for free and play them on the emulation console that I built using a Raspberry Pi, Micro SD cards and Linux-based software programs. (I'll be doing this anyway.)

FINAL CONCLUSION

Buying upgrades for my PC will be cheaper than getting a PS4 or XB1 of any kind, despite the recent increase in graphics card prices. (Damned Bitcoin mining...) Therefore, I will just get myself a decent video card and a newer, more high-capacity power supply for my PC. XB1 did surprisingly well in this 'analysis' (or whatever you want to call it...) and PS4 really needs to step up its game.

That, or continue saving money and eventually buy an arcade cabinet... Or build one during the vacation between semesters this summer... 3:)

- Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment