Wednesday, June 25, 2014

What makes you so sure that these 8 Philosophical Problems CAN'T be solved?

I came across a little list on io9 about 8 Philosophical problems that can't be solved and I started to chuckle. Philosophical problems are usually VERY EASY for me to solve so, I decided to do just that...

I wasn't always successful with all of them but, I like to think I did okay with most of them. Also, as a favor to the readers who are not a Naturally-born Mad Scientist like me, I kept the language very simple. There are few references to any really complex scientific principles or philosophical maxims. Any that are mentioned will also include hyperlinks to web pages with explanations of the terms used. There will also be some extremely ribald and sardonic humor employed throughout. You have been warned...

1.) Why is there something rather than nothing?

Ask the Creator of All Things. I don't know. I'm not concerned with it, either. I'm just happy to be here.

Personally, I sometimes wonder if our whole universe is just a mad science experiment of some kind. Is our whole universe just a growth culture in a petri dish? Is 'God' just the dork in a lab coat that created/studies that growth-culture under a microscope? Does he make like a divine ceiling cat that watches me masturbate? Is he enjoying the show?





2.) Is our universe real?

Yes. It is real. It is often hard to believe or understand but, it is real. If you think we are part of some incredibly realistic simulation, then you have been watching movies like Inception and The Matrix entirely too much... And probably smoking a LOT of weed...

3.) Do we have free will?

Yes, we do have Free Will. Physics (especially the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle) has already demonstrated this, as world-renowned Physicist Michio Kaku explains in this video...



4.) Does God exist?

That depends on how you define 'God.'

If you define God the way I do as 'the Creator of All Things', then God's existence is at least possible, even if it can't be definitively proven yet. If you think God is anything like those fairy tales you read as a child every Sunday, then you are likely to be disappointed.

Jesus certainly seems like a nice guy from what I have read of him, though. I'd have a beer with him. He's also probably the only hippie that I'd be eager to invite into my home for Sunday dinner too. However, I do insist that he take a shower first.

5.)  Is there life after death?

Don't worry. Some day, you will find out. :P

6.) Can you really experience anything objectively?

Yes... and No. Experiencing something in a purely objective way is possible through these marvelous inventions called Non-Fiction Books, the Internet and, to some extent, Reality Television. You can experience other people's lives/experiences through these means.

However, the view of 'reality' you experience through these means all come to you through the filter of someone else's biases and preconceived notions of the Universe. Is anyone else starting to feel a little confused about this one?

Maybe it's only possible to objectively experience the worlds created in a book but, not the real world itself?

7.) What is the best moral system?

Whatever moral system helps make your life happier, better in a measurable/quantifiable way (More money, better food, et al.) and also DOES NOT DO ANY HARM TO YOU OR ANOTHER HUMAN BEING.

Sadly, there is no philosophy that can do these things 100% of the time. There is also no one system that will work for everyone. It is your responsibility to examine the philosophies and make your own decisions in this area. Good luck.

8.) What are numbers?

Numbers are something that Humans made up to help quantify and explain the Universe around them.

Unfortunately, Humans have not always done a good job of explaining how to use these numbers to their children. WHY MUST MATH CLASS BE SO DAMNED CONFUSING IN HIGH SCHOOL?

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment