Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I'm learning quickly...

This Linux Program doesn't seem all that difficult at all... so far. I've already accomplished many of the tasks I laid out for myself to learn before this weekend came and it's only Tuesday.

Sweet. :)

Anyway, here's the task list itself...

LINUX EXPERIMENTS FOR NEAR FUTURE

1.) Change Password so no one else can possibly know it...

2.) Import bookmarks into Firefox browser from the HTML file that we exported from the WinXP version.

3.) Change Screensaver to a Picture Slideshow using the same pics we'd use in WinXP. If that's impossible, find a way to download a new one onto the system.

4.) Delete thumbs.db files (and all pictures that aren't large enough) from the Desktop Wallpapers folder in the Pictures folder. (These are also the same images that would be used for a Screensaver slide show.)

5.) Use internet to fullest extent, not to mention the usual tasks. (FB, YouTube, Blogger, et al.)

6.) Program some of the HTML pages in Linux using its default word processor, which does save to TXT and HTML files.

7.) Figure out how to get our printer to work with this OS... If possible...

Number 6 refers to a long-running HTML project of mine where I create lists of all my various multimedia collections (Video Games, Movies/TV Shows, Music on physical media, et al.), just as a way of teaching myself to program in HTML. Numbers 4-7 are already done. I'll be doing 1 and 2 on this list before I go to sleep tonight. I'm still looking into how I can do #3. I recently found the documentation to go along with this OS so, I should be figuring it out pretty soon.

So far, I'm liking this OS. It has been made quite easy for a noob to use. In a few days, I should be able to use either this or the WinXP install on my Desktop interchangeably for most of my day-to-day tasks.

I am still wondering why the menu selection screen that shows up when I boot up the computer is always shifting itself off to the left-hand side of the screen. The friend of mine that helped me install this Linux distro on my machine thinks it might be a driver issue with the video card I have installed. According to the driver utility I found in Linux, my system is using the recommended drivers.

I thought about installing the program software for the video card since the side of the box says it's compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7, MacOSX, Linux and FreeBSD. I decided not to do that until I get an expert opinion. I'd rather not mess things up here. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the system. Besides, it was difficult enough to get it set up right. Mint at first didn't like some of the settings on my machine.

Anyway, once that is done, I can start using this OS for gaming purposes. Never will there be a computer of some kind in my possession that won't be playing at least one game, unless it's a calculator or my iPods. I don't think they make much of a game console. Also, I have at least one game in my collection that will work with Linux too. It won't even need WINE to run because it has a Linux version on the disc. That game is one of the few FPS games that doesn't bore me, and a game I made levels for in college classes on Level Design: Unreal Tournament 2004.

- Lord Publius



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't believe you've ever mentioned involvement in getting any Windows games to play in WINE. Which one did you help port?

      Also, I hear there is a port of DOOM for Linux out there. Ever play the title? If it's inferior to the Windows95/98/ME/2000/XP version in the 'DOOM - Collector's Edition' release then, I can always play that through WINE, I guess...

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the name of the game that you modified WINE to play, Sean? It doesn't matter if I want to play that game or not.

      Also, I don't have any DOS games in my collection. Everything is for Windows 95 or later, with one title that has a Linux version and 2 that have Mac versions on the disc.

      Delete