Saturday, January 11, 2014

Operation: Flawless Victory

Goal: To collect one working copy of every officially-released game for the Atari 7800 ProSystem.

I've chosen to find the complete software library for this system because it has the smallest library of any console I have, expect perhaps for the Atari Jaguar. However, even the crappiest Jaguar games can be unbelievably expensive so, unless I win the lottery, completing that console's library will be impossible. (Not to mention that there are some really crappy games on that console that I really DO NOT WANT.)

According to Wikipedia, there are 59 officially released games for this system and 27 aftermarket homebrew titles. Homebrews will not be included in this operation because it might prove impossible to find them. (Or, at least just impossible to find at a reasonable price...) Also, all I really need is the cartridge. I don't care about the boxes and manuals. The boxes were cardboard and probably haven't held up well over the years. The manuals are also quite pointless since games for this console were so incredibly simple. Many of them were just arcade ports.

I mentioned this project to the owner of Play Raven earlier today. He mentioned that he didn't like 'completists' because they basically admit to having some really crappy games by tracking down a copy of every title on a system. If I owned a game store, I'd love those guys. They are a great source of revenue. Also, SOMEONE has to buy all those sports games and titles made by the company of Laughing Joking Numbnuts that usually collect dust on the shelves. :P

Anyway...

Games I have already:

Asteroids (2 Copies, both are complete in the box.)
Ballblazer
Choplifter!
Dig Dug
Galaga
(2 Copies.)
Karateka
Ms. Pac-Man
Pole Position II
(3 Copies.)
Robotron: 2084
Super Huey UH-IX
Xevious
(2 Copies, 1 with a manual.)

Games I need:

32 in 1
Ace of Aces
Alien Brigade
Basketbrawl
Centipede
Commando
(I have the NES version of this game. The 7800 version is better in some ways.)
Crack'ed
Crossbow
Dark Chambers
Desert Falcon
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Junior
Double Dragon
F-18 Hornet
Fatal Run
Fight Night
Food Fight
Hat Trick
Ikari Warriors
(I didn't think much of the NES version of this game.)
Impossible Mission
Jinks
Joust
Kung-Fu Master
Mario Bros.
Mat Mania Challenge
Mean 18 Ultimate Golf
Meltdown
Midnight Mutants
Motor Psycho
Ninja Golf
(I played this in an emulator. It's actually pretty awesome.)
One-On-One Basketball
Pete Rose Baseball
Planet Smashers
Rampage
RealSports Baseball
Scrapyard Dog
Sentinel
Summer Games
Super Skateboardin'
Tank Command
Title Match Pro Wrestling
Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator
Touchdown Football
Tower Toppler
Water Ski
Winter Games
Xenophobe


Furthermore, I don't mind acquiring a few more units of the console, its AC Power/RF Cables and controllers, either. Especially that joypad controller that was only released in Europe. Some of them have found their way to the United States over the years. While I don't have much of a problem with the joystick controllers, some think they aren't very ergonomic. They can become uncomfortable to me after I have been playing for an hour or so but, gaming sessions on 8-Bit Atari consoles don't normally last that long anyway.

There's no telling how long this operation is likely to last. Cartridges for Atari 7800 are often difficult to find in the wild. While millions were made and sold, they are not quite as ubiquitous as the cartridges from other classic 8-Bit systems like the Atari 2600 & NES. There are plenty of online resources, though. I guess I'll find out once I start lookin'...

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment