Monday, August 20, 2018

Requiem for an Underdog

Today, I had a loss in the family... of sorts. Most people think of a vehicle as just a tool. I thought of my 2001 Chevy S-10, nicknamed 'the Underdog', as something akin to a pet. And this pet could have lived forever (with the appropriate maintenance/repairs over time), but that isn't going to happen now. Some idjit rear-ended me on the interstate this morning and my insurance carrier had to total the vehicle.

However, we are getting a little ahead of ourselves. Let me tell you a few things about this remarkable vehicle. The whole reason it was named 'Underdog' is because everyone kept underestimating this vehicle over the years. My father bought it new in 2001 and was disappointed with it because it couldn't do the things he wanted a truck to do. However, if he had bought the full-size truck like I told him to do, he wouldn't have had a problem. My father was a very stubborn man. However, it always served me so well, especially after Dad transferred the title to me in 2009.

Anything I asked it to do, regardless of the conditions, it managed to do quite well. It was with me for 3 of my years in college the first time around, circa 2006-2008. It was with me in my years as a Soldier in the Army from 2009-2014. It was with me in my travels across America as an Insurance Adjuster after I was discharged. We went as far north and New Jersey and Indiana. We went as far south as Florida. We went from my last Army post in Maryland back home to Louisiana in a marathon 17 hour drive with almost no stops. We also went down Route 66 from Texas to California and back again. It never failed me. Not even once. Through rain, hail, sleet, snow and hurricanes, it soldiered on even more than a postal worker getting the mail through. It also helped me move a lot of cargo, building materials and musical instruments owned by Rock Star friends of mine. This truck was a true Soldier. It went well above and beyond the call of duty. It would have made General Motors proud.

Unfortunately though, Soldiers often die in the line of duty. Today was the day that the automotive Grim Reaper came for my soldier and took him to Fiddler's Green. I'm going through college again right now for a 2nd degree, courtesy of the G.I. Bill. While heading to class on a local interstate highway this morning, someone rear-ended my vehicle. The driver-side tail-light was destroyed, along with the back window for the bed topper on the truck bed. The bed had also got smashed up bad on the driver's side, shifted forward slightly and dented the cab too. The tailgate was also smashed to scrap metal. It was not a pretty sight. Since the truck is 17 years old and has 192,224 miles on the odometer, it was an obvious total. Truth be told, that vehicle was probably near the end of its life as my daily driver anyway. It was very old and something was bound to wear out sooner rather than later. I couldn't afford any kind of major repairs so, this might be a blessing in disguise. That's the way I want to think of this tragedy, but there's really no way to know.

Thankfully, my insurance carrier was nice enough to give me much more than I thought it was worth. The check they gave me will make for a very nice down-payment on the next vehicle, but the monthly payments are really going to stretch my budget. I have a few connections and can make this a mere inconvenience, but I really liked being virtually debt free! Damned adult struggles of life! At least no one was injured or killed. And that is amazing to me. There were 3 accidents near this same interstate off-ramp this morning, with mine being the first. I guess God just decided that a few local car dealers and body shops needed some business.

Also, the 2017 Nissan Titan that rear-ended me was not just totaled, it had to be towed away with a wrecker. My vehicle was at least able to get me to class and then home this afternoon. That truck ALWAYS got me home. No matter the weather or its current state, it always got me to wherever I called 'home'. And that is why trucks should be made of Metal and NOT plastic. Oh well, at least there's one LESS lousy f***ing import on the road. Those things piss me off with their mere existence. It's just too bad that I had to lose my own vehicle in the process. Still, there's a reason why the phrase 'Jap Junk' actually exists, folks. DON'T BUY INFERIOR IMPORTS MADE OF PLASTIC.

So Ladies and Gentlemen, raise a glass of whatever you're drinking to salute the Underdog. This small truck deserves all the praise I have ever given it and much more. This truck was a true Soldier. It went well above and beyond the call of duty. It would make General Motors proud. It now joins my long lost (and MUCH beloved) 1982 Buick Riviera on that great highway in the sky, where they both will hopefully be waiting for me. It doesn't matter if this truck was nowhere near as fancy as the Riviera. It doesn't matter that 1982 wasn't the most legendary year for Buick's legendary 'cheap Cadillac' that I really wish GM would bring back. All that does matter is that they were mine.


A picture I took of the Underdog in Maryland, circa 2011.

That loyal soldier always served me so well... and it will be missed.

- Publius

1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: I got my new car on Saturday, 25 Aug 2018. I will be blogging about that very soon.

    ReplyDelete