Sunday, December 31, 2023

Game collecting misadventures in 2023

Previous years...




This year was definitely 'quality over quantity', for the most part. It wasn't because I didn't have money. Far from it, in fact. I just decided to spend that money paying off long-term debts. I paid off my car and greatly reduced various other debts this year. Next year will see at least 1 of my 3 other long-term debts being exterminated with extreme prejudice, if not 2 of them. Being employed full-time has its advantages. 😊

Anyway, enough of that bravo sierra. On with the games!

7 January

Checked out a local gaming store today. They deal primarily in Tabletop RPG gaming, but do have a video game section. They had a pretty good selection over all, compared to some other places. There were also a LOT of sports games for just about every system they had represented in their inventory. However, that always happens with retro game stores. Also, the games they had that I might want were all games that I already have. That's also a common problem that I have with retro game stores. 😜 

I was surprised at just how many sports games they had on the SEGA Genesis. The overwhelming majority of their cartridges for that system were all EA Sports titles with the non-standard cartridge designs. I have never seen that many of those carts in the same place. Same with all the copies of Bases Loaded that they had on the NES. Did they buy in bulk?

There were also a few random Atari titles for the 2600 and Jaguar as well. All titles that I already had or just didn't want. According to the store employee that I spoke to, NONE of the Atari stuff moves very quick. I'm not surprised. Atari games (except the arcade titles) are the video game equivalent of silent films. They have historical significance, a loyal following and are frequently studied in Academia. Unfortunately though, the general public just doesn't seem to care about them anymore. That makes me sad.

However, the store seemed to be a pretty decent operation with decent prices. I will periodically check in with them to see if they do end up with something that I want.

10 January

Since there was a sale in the Nintendo eShop, I picked up a copy of Pac-Man Museum+. It was at least 8 bucks cheaper than getting a physical copy on sale from Amazon and didn't require me to spend anything out of pocket. I just used the store credit that I already had in the eShop, which is now down to 71 cents. Lolz.

14 games for $11.53 after tax is a good deal...



21 January

Today has been a VERY frustrating day. I checked out that other retro game store here in my general area. It had FAR better selection than the other place that I checked out 2 weeks prior. They even had some boxed Atari 5200 games. I haven't seen any of those on a retro game store shelf/pegboard/display for at least a decade. Quite impressive!

Picked up an XBOX game from them called MechAssault. Unfortunately for me, ALL THREE of my XBOX consoles are kaput. One of them won't read discs. One of them won't read discs and stopped powering on. The other one just won't power on at all. Typical Microsoft junk. I did get one of them repaired, though. The other 2 will also be repaired someday, when my repair guy, JMAN, has the time.

Gotta love games featuring giant killer robot war machines...


27 February

Acquired a few new items this week from some of the usual sources. That is, Amazon and my buddy known only to the internet as the JMAN. The one title from Amazon is Atari 50: The Anniversary Collection. The stuff from my buddy JMAN is listed below. I brought the first of three XBOX consoles to him for some repairs that are now complete.

When I went to see him, he had some more old game stuff for me. There was also a Voltron puzzle that he found in his garage and gave to me for free. He says there's some more PS3 stuff somewhere in that garage that he plans to give me, after it's found. I look forward to acquiring it too. My junk pile could always use a few more spare parts. I'm not taking advantage of his generosity, either. I promised him that he could keep one of the three XBOX consoles that I have once all three of them are working again. Anyway, here's the list of the new additions and a pic of this latest score below...

Hardware

- A currently non-functioning SNES console in dire need of the Retrobright treatment...
- A 3D-printed version of the Fleur di Lis logo used by the New Orleans Saints, which I am using as a paperweight... 

- A Voltron puzzle that might have a few pieces missing...



Pretty nice score...

14 April

Amazon finally restocked physical copies of Metroid Prime Remastered for the Switch and I got my copy. As if I didn't already have enough games on that system that I haven't even played yet... And 2 pristine copies of the original Metroid Prime release on the GameCube... And the copy contained in the Metroid Prime Trilogy collection for the Wii... 😜


Still waiting on Metroid Prime 4, Nintendo...

15 May

I have had a regular job and regular money flowing in again for several months now. So, I decided to bite the bullet and order something from Japan through Amazon's American site: The SEGA Genesis Mini version 2 & a carrying/storage case. If it's even half as good as Version 1, it will end up being treasured just as much as Version 1 and the NES & SNES Classic Editions.

Part of my childhood in miniature form factor...

I wish more companies would release these mini consoles instead of constantly trying to get me to download things from various download services. I like having multiple mini systems waiting for me on the shelf. Same with physical copies of games. For all the money that I spend on these things over time, I deserve a physical copy instead of some digital title that depends on a console/download service working over time.

That being said, if Atari continues making Flashback consoles, PLEASE include games from more platforms than just the 2600 and classic arcade titles. I have enough copies of those, including some actual arcade units.

25 July

Went to a local Five Below looking for a cheap phone case. Got that and a few gaming-related tchotchkes that I found there. Namely, some more tin signs that aren't going to be put up any time soon (and will probably be saved for the retro game store that I hope to open someday) and some 'gaming mats' that look like very large mouse pads to me. Pics below.

Yet more tchotchkes...

What one of those gaming mats looks like unfurled.

The 'Game Over' mat did end up being used in my office as a mousepad and anti-slip mat for my keyboard.

1 September

A few months prior, I bought a cheap TV stand from Amazon. I had an extra HDTV sitting around the house (it belonged to my grandmother at one time) and wanted a mobile TV cart for playing consoles that wouldn't be left connected to one of my entertainment centers. It worked out quite nicely and will be used for parties, mini-consoles, my emulation console, old PCs, etc. Pic below.

The game room was being remodeled/reorganized at the time this pic was taken.
Please forgive any mess/disorder you might see in this picture.

29 October

Bought Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Sonic Origins Plus for the Switch from Amazon. They got delivered today.

I love the Switch. It's the perfect console for games both old and new.

5 November

Bought Radiant Silvergun from the eShop. It was on sale for about 10 bucks. That is much better than the HUNDREDS of Dollars it would cost to get the first home release on the Japanese SEGA Saturn. I don't even want to know the cost of the Japanese arcade game original being fully restored and imported to the USA...

Love these PNG photos with a transparent background.


25 November

Ordered some things from Amazon on Thanksgiving night. The Christmas presents for my Niece and Nephew, a new floor mat for my home office... And the new Sonic game Sonic Superstars for about 42% off...

Sonic works best in 2D...

1 December

Got a text message ad from a local pawn shop that I visit once in a while. They had a Christmas sale today. Found 2 Wii games that looked interesting: Nerf N-Strike Double Blast Bundle and Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection. Neither of them were on my want list. My suspicions at the store about having the PS2 version of the pinball game were actually correct. However, the PS2 version doesn't have motion controls or the ability to have 4 player tournaments.

Anyway, the pawn shop ended up giving me both of those games for free because of a larger purchase that I made. An item that I didn't expect to see or purchase today: an NBA Jam Countercade from Arcade1Up. It has 3 games: NBA Jam, NBA Jam Tournament Edition and NBA Hang Time. It normally retails for $220 plus tax. The sale price on Arcade1Up's site right now is $130 plus tax. I got this virtually untouched cabinet for $109.19, including tax. I couldn't pass this one up. NBA Jam is probably the only arcade sports game that I can remember enjoying at all back in the day. I'm also pretty sure that I only played the home version on the SEGA Genesis too. Nice to have the arcade version now.

I'm still not 100% sure where I'll put it in the game room, but I'm sure that I can find space for it somewhere...

Where am I going to put that little tabletop cabinet...

Immediately after writing the last few sentences, I started investigating in the game room. I found a way to set the Countercade in a 'permanent' spot while also not taking up any new real estate. I noticed that the 3 shelf cart that I use for tools, batteries and cleaning supplies just might fit this Countercade. So, I put the batteries on an empty spot of a shelf and put the Countercade on the top rack of the little cart. It fit perfectly and now has a new home. Even better, I can move it around to different parts of the room/house whenever I need to, just like with that cart that has the TV attached. Awesome.

Problem solved. Problem staying solved. Rangers lead the way!

16 December

Stopped at 2 different pawn shops during my lunch breaks over the last week. Managed to get 7 different titles for SNES, SEGA Genesis and PS3, all for a total of just under $50. Sweet.

What's not so sweet is that one of those pawn shops put their price label right on the label for the Genesis cartridge. I did my best to remove it without causing damage, but that was impossible. No big deal, though. If nothing else, that cart is liable to become a test cartridge for Genesis consoles in my collection. It was only 2 bucks anyway. 

For me, the real score is the Super Punch-Out!! cartridge. I've had that game on the WiiU virtual console and the SNES Classic Edition for a while now. However, the original cartridge is still highly collectable. It would make a fine re-sell item when I finally do get around to setting up an eBay store. Same with the SNES copy of NBA Jam that I obviously don't need since I have the arcade original in that Arcade1Up Countercade that I got on the 1st of this month. Same for that SEGA Genesis copy of NBA Jam that I have had for years now. Both console versions are now superfluous to me since I have the arcade original. However, there is some collector out there that would love to have them.

I know I've been talking about an eBay store for years now, but I swear it will eventually happen. If all goes according to plan, 2024 just might be the year for it, too. I have to do something to get rid of all the extra copies of things I have acquired over the years through estate sales, garage sales, clearance sales at pawn shops, thrift stores, Goodwill, etc. etc. etc. It might be nice to have an extra copy of an old favorite or two, but I do NOT need the excess amounts that are in my game room right now. Excess amounts like 9 copies of Asteroids and Space Invaders on the Atari 2600 or 4 copies of Galaga on the NES. And those are just a few small samples. I could go on at great length here for just about every console that I have from the Atari 2600 all the way up through PS3 and WiiU. Some of those items are still factory-sealed too.

COMPLETE LIST OF RECENT ACQUISITIONS

SNES


SEGA Genesis



2 SNES titles and 1 lone SEGA Genesis cartridge.


All of these PS3 titles were highly rated by players and critics alike.
I didn't have quite that high of an expectation for the Hitman and Bourne games.

21 December

More retro game finds from one of my local pawn shops. Cost for both was $5.46, including tax.

I know Burnout is good. Not sure about the Star Wars game yet...
28 December

Went trolling through the Nintendo eShop on my Switch today, looking to see what kind of sales they had. Downloaded F-Zero 99 since I love that franchise and it was free. You do have to have a subscription to Nintendo Switch Online to play this game, though.

This looks like it's gonna be interesting... Still waiting on a proper sequel to F-Zero GX, though...

Also added quite a few nice games to my want list that are going to be really cheap with the current sale. Hope that I don't need to get a larger MicroSD Card for my system because of them. 😜

30 December

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I went to those 2 pawn shops near my work again today during my lunch break. One of them was a bust. The other had some interesting items. I picked up two titles for the PS2: Star Trek: Encounters (which I already had in my collection) and The Warriors. With my Veterans discount, both of these were acquired for $4.36 with tax. Pretty sweet little score, even if the Star Trek game ends up being resold on eBay someday. I really do need to get that eBay store started...

I am looking forward to playing that Warriors game...

Also, I bought $100 worth of eShop cards to take advantage of Nintendo's annual Christmas/New Year's/Winter sales. Turns out that I will have plenty of space on that SD card for the new purchases. Sale price for all of them was about $80. Regular price would have been at least double that amount. Still have about $30 left in my eShop funds, including cash and gold coins. Will I use them tomorrow or wait for January 2024? Only time will tell...

TITLES ACQUIRED IN THE eSHOP SALE



It's easier for me to put the title screens/posters in this one image.

It took nearly 2 hours to download the 3 Atari games and Horizon Chase. The others continued downloading into the night. As of tonight, December 31st, I am still downloading Quake II. (I had to stop the downloads and go to work today.) I don't expect Doom Eternal to finish downloading until sometime January 2nd or 3rd. Fortunately, I have both of those days off from work.


And that's all for 2023. What a year. I'm gainfully employed. The car is paid off. Debts are considerably smaller. Star Trek is getting MUCH better now thanks to Picard Season 3 and Strange New Worlds. Life, in many ways, is MUCH better. Much to the chagrin of both my many vanquished personal enemies and the Democratic party in general, I have made it through with flying colors. Not only have I survived, I have thrived. Life, for the moment, is pretty good.

See you all in 2024, folks. Until then, pray for Liberty and Peace in our time and for our beloved Republic to remain just that: a Republic.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment