Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Shaving Blog 5: A New Beginning...

Previous entries in this continuing series that I never would have expected to exist...

========

Yes, I am still getting the weird titles for these shaving blogs from various movie naming conventions/tropes. Parts 4 & 5 here correspond to the 4th and 5th entries in the Friday the 13th series. And like the 5th entry in the Friday the 13th series, this entry will be slightly different. I won't be putting any dates on here because I didn't bother to record them as part of any experiment. The best I could have done is tell you which day I bought the stuff online. That seems a bit pointless to me.

Anyway, this seemingly never-ending series keeps marching on. Why? Because I noticed that the Proraso shave soap in the green tub and my usual aftershave (SkinBracer) were both leaving my skin dried out. It's not because of the products themselves, it's the changing weather.

Now that we're getting into the (thankfully) brief and mild New Orleans winter, the climate is getting colder and drier than usual. That's causing my skin to dry out. Thankfully though, it's not as bad as when I lived up north during my Army days. My skin got so dry during those northern Yankee winters that I'd often end up with chapped lips and painful irritation. Having to shave everyday (per AR 670-1) and only having a cartridge razor didn't help matters. 

So, I asked a few friends if they knew of an aftershave that didn't have alcohol in it and might actually moisturize my skin. One of the NCOs from my last Army unit told me about an American company called Duke Cannon. I got some of their Aftershave balm from Amazon because 2 bottles for $20 was better than 1 for $15 on the manufacturer website. 

Anyway, here's the results:

PROs

- This aftershave balm leaves my skin feeling as soft and smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom.

- American-owned company.

- Made in USA.

- Portion of proceeds goes to helping U.S. Veterans, like myself.

(Possible) CON

The slight smell to it reminds me of Vick's Vapor Rub for some reason. That doesn't bother me, but I can easily see that bothering someone else. 

Either way, I consider this product to be a real winner. From now on, Duke Cannon is my aftershave of choice during the winter months. SkinBracer and Aqua Velva will be summer products.

Great stuff.👍

========

As for the red tub of Proraso... 

I have the green tub of Proraso and love it, but found out it was leaving my skin too dry after the weather started turning cold. 

So, I bought the red version of Proraso because the manufacturer says it helps to nourish skin. This is supposed to be achieved by the soap containing Shea Butter and Sandalwood Oil. That has proven to be 100% accurate. Combined with the Duke Cannon after shave balm, my skin is feeling softer than it has in many years. The smell of the red Proraso tub is pleasant, but not as strong as the green tub. Either way though, it still gets my face absolutely baby bottom smooth. I can confidently recommend this product to people looking for a fine quality shave soap.

Proraso is downright heavenly to use. 👍

So, does this mean that Proraso has taken Barbasol's place in my heart? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Believe it or not, the Proraso makes more of a mess to clean up than squirting some Barbasol into my shaving mug. However, I can say that it's nice to mix things up now and again.

Also, Proraso (I think) doesn't need to be stored at a certain temperature range like the cans of Barbasol foam. So, I could much more easily put one of these tubs in a bug-out bag or travel with them worry-free on airplanes, assuming that the TSA doesn't have a problem with shave soap being in a carry-on bag. I already know they'd insist on the safety razor being in the checked luggage because of the removable blades. That fact is one of only two reasons why I keep any cartridge razors around. Fortunately, I will not be traveling on any planes anytime soon.

========

Also, for those following this series, you may recall that I was reminded about wanting to get new shaving supplies/routines back in January by an ASMR video on YouTube. Well, the creator of that video recently revealed that she's battling a form of cancer that started in her leg. She's already had that tumor surgically removed and things look good so far. I hope it stays that way. Get well soon, Sofia.

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment