Monday, May 23, 2022

Shaving Blog 6: Open-comb razors and other random products

Previous entries in this continuing series that I never would have expected to exist...



3 May 2022

Got a new open-comb DE Razor called a Mühle R41. It was said to have a much more aggressive shave. I thought it might help with the 'trouble spots' on my neck. It was much more effective than the much more mild-shaving Merkur 23C that I have been using for over a year.

Pictured: Mühle R41


The razor certainly is very aggressive. I loaded it with a new Feather blade, rather than using the single Mühle branded blade that came with the razor. I used Proraso in the green tub for the shaving product. This razor requires a slightly more gentle approach than the Merkur that I normally use. However, it did remove the whiskers with stunning ease. It also made the trouble spots noticeably smaller. However, I went back to the Merkur to finish them off. The Mühle caused more than enough weepers on the underside of my neck that day. The internet was not kidding when they said this razor was much more aggressive.

The next shave that I try with this razor will be exactly the same as before, except using some version of Barbasol instead. I am not expecting much of a difference, but I am curious how it turns out.

12 May 2022

By now, I have shaved twice more with the new razor, using Barbasol Original and the Barbasol 1919 cream. I must have adapted to this new razor quickly since I had virtually no nicks, cuts or weepers on repeat uses. I can use it quite effectively in sensitive areas like the mustache and goatee region now. I still prefer using the Merkur 23C to finish off the mustache area. The new Mühle is making very short work of the trouble areas, though. We have a winner, even if it does feel about as rough as a lot of the cartridge razors did.

22 May 2022

I stopped by the Dollar Tree on this day looking to get a few snack food items. I happened to see a display near the front of the store with some Barbasol merchandise, including 10.5oz cans of the Fragrance Free version, which is not listed on Barbasol's website at all. That makes me wonder if it was discontinued. It is still using the current designs for their cans. Anyway, I normally only see a Barbasol can this large at my local grocery store. It's the Original or Soothing Aloe version and it costs more than 2 bucks. So, I never got one. However, I am willing to try a new version in that size for $1.25. 


Pictured: Stock photo of Fragrance Free Barbasol.

It shaves just as well as any other version of Barbasol foam that I've tried. However, it's NOT fragrance free. They just didn't add a fragrance like they do with most of the other versions. The smell that it does have registers as being like orange juice (of all things) to my nose. Not quite the smell I would have expected, but not bad at all. I can't call it a winner because of the false advertising, but it's no loser, either. It's just as effective as any other version of the foam. So, make of that what you will.

I am curious as to how Dollar Tree got this product when it doesn't seem to be in production anymore. Was it New Old Stock that they purchased from Perio Inc., a wholesaler or some other retailer? It's not even listed on their website. Weird... Hopefully, I will get to acquire a can of the Pacific Rush version of the foam this way someday. That is the one version that I haven't been able to acquire yet. Also noticed that the classic 2 blade disposable Barbasol-branded razors that Dollar Tree sells are not on the manufacturer website anymore. Are they discontinued now too? Good thing that I grabbed some a while back. Those go in the hygiene kit for my bug-out bag.

22 June 2022

Got a cheap shaving brush from Dollar Tree a few days ago. It was as awful as you'd expect. The bristles were too damned stiff to make effective use of that brush. I'm not surprised. The brush can still be used for non-shaving applications like getting dirt out of the grooves of my car's dashboard/center console. Therefore, I don't feel like I just wasted $1.25 + tax.

========

That's all for now. For those following the series, you may remember that an ASMR creator named Sofia got me started in this misadventure with safety razor shaving in a roundabout kind of way. (One of her videos reminded me that I wanted to try this new-to-me method of shaving my face.) You'll also remember that I mentioned that she was being treated for Cancer. I'm happy to report that she's completed treatment and (so far) is in complete remission. That bit of good news really brightened my day when I heard. I hope it does for all of you too. We could use some good news these days...

- Lord Publius

No comments:

Post a Comment